Duplicate server?

Flying Bollards Wreckfest server discussion
FlyingBollards

Duplicate server?

Post by FlyingBollards » 07 Jul 2018, 20:06

Jinx pointed out that there seems to be a duplicate Flying Bollards server.

I can't explain it at the moment - I've stopped and deallocated all the VMs that I have, and that one Flying Bollards wreckfest server remains.

It's simply not a server I'm hosting.

For the time being I've added 'Elbows out racing' to the start of the server welcome message to distinguish it.

FlyingBollards

Re: Duplicate server?

Post by FlyingBollards » 09 Jul 2018, 09:05

I hoped it would disappear after the weekend but it's still there.

I can only imagine that the hosts have accidentally duplicated a VM I had running in a data centre and now have another instance of it running. It had to happen after Friday evening as the duplicate has the bonebreaker track.

I've added a '#1' to the main proper server and put it in a different datacentre to make it more obvious which one the real one is.

The real one should also now appear higher in UK players' server lists.

root
Site Admin

Post by root » 09 Jul 2018, 11:26

The fake server is on an IP address based in Montmorency in France which leads me straight to who is hosting it.

I don't think I can do much, I don't think I can be bothered to do much as 'our' server appears much higher in the server list anyway, but it's interesting to see how banned players react to being banned!

root
Site Admin

Post by root » 09 Jul 2018, 11:36

OK let's have a little fun.

2 players have a bit of a reputation for just being general pains in the arse around Wreckfest.

I banned them from the server a week or so ago.

They are the only people banned from the server.

Then this duplicate server turns up.

Doesn't take long to trace the IP address of a Wreckfest server. Here's the IP address details.
[Edit - server seems to have gone now]

Simo

Post by Simo » 09 Jul 2018, 12:44

Weird, don't people have anything better to do?!

root
Site Admin

Post by root » 09 Jul 2018, 12:59

You'd think so wouldn't you.

As soon as the duplicate turned up I thought to myself 'this could be someone messing around' but I discounted it because I thought nobody would be that dumb.

Jinx20001

Post by Jinx20001 » 09 Jul 2018, 18:32

absolutely ridiculous, glad I could help with the spotting, good to see its now gone aswell, they certainly have nothing better to do so they try to replicate the best server on the game. were clearly one of the most active servers and we make it fun for everyone, if somebody tried to replicate it they can try but they will fail and clearly its easy to spot who it is.